Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Exam Pattern and Syllabus
Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination is the first and very important stage of Rajasthan State and Subordinate Services Combined Competitive Examination. The Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination is a screening test, which consists of Objective Type Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) of 200 marks.
Basically, the screening test means that the marks obtained by the candidates in the preliminary examination are not counted at the time of preparation of the final RPSC RAS exam merit list. The preliminary exam is the first filter of the RPSC RAS exam. The standard of questions asked in the Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination is of graduation level.
The subjects from which questions are asked in the paper are general knowledge and general science. For the information of interested candidates, Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination Marking Scheme, pattern, and syllabus are mentioned in detail in this article.
Pattern and marking scheme
In the preliminary examination, there will be a question paper on the subject specified below, which will be objective type and will be of maximum 200 marks. As the purpose of the examination is to conduct a screening test only. The scale of the question paper will be of the Bachelor's degree level. By such candidates, who have been declared eligible for admission to the main examination, the marks obtained in the preliminary examination will not be computed to determine their final merit. Following is the Rajasthan Public Service Commission Preliminary Examination Marking Scheme and pattern structure, such as-
Question Paper Maximum Marks period
I General Knowledge and General Science 200 three hours
- 1. The question paper will have 150 multiple choice questions and all the questions will be of equal marks.
- 2. Negative marking will be done in the assessment, in which 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
The Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC) syllabus for the Prelims exam is normally a mixture of all important subjects from the General Studies syllabus. Candidates need to focus on subjects related to Rajasthan as many questions are asked related to state-level issues.
The Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC) syllabus is unique in the sense that the RAS Prelims exam consists of only one paper and candidates need to focus on only one paper. The Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC) syllabus for the RAS Preliminary Examination is divided into various sections. The details are as follows-
History, art, culture, literature, tradition, and heritage of Rajasthan
- Important historical events of the history of Rajasthan, major dynasties, their administrative and revenue system. Socio-cultural issues
- Freedom movement, public awareness, and political integration
- Major features of architecture - Forts and monuments
- Arts, paintings and handicrafts
- Important works of Rajasthani literature, regional dialects
- Fairs, festivals, folk music, and folk dances
- Rajasthani Culture, Tradition and Heritage
- Religious movement, saints and folk deities of Rajasthan
- Important Tourist Places of Rajasthan.
history of India
Antiquity and Medieval
- Major features and important historical events of the history of ancient and medieval India.
- Art, Culture, Literature, and Architecture
- Major dynasties, their administrative social and economic system. Socio-cultural issues, major movements.
- History of modern India (mid-18th century to present) - Major events, personalities, and issues
- Freedom Struggle and Indian National Movement - Different stages, contributors of different regions of the country and their contribution
- The social and religious reform movement in the 19th and 20th century
- National integration and reorganization in the post-independence period.
Geography of the world and India
- Major physical features
- Environmental and Ecological Issues
- Wildlife, Biodiversity
- International Waterways
- Major Industrial Areas |
Geography of India-
- Major physical features and major geophysical divisions
- Agriculture and agro-based activities
- Minerals - iron, manganese, coal, mineral oil and gas, molecular minerals
- Major Industries and Industrial Development
- Transport - Main transport route
- Natural Resources
- Environmental problems and ecological issues.
Geography of Rajasthan
- Major physical features and main geophysical divisions
- Natural Resources of Rajasthan
- Climate, natural vegetation, forests, wildlife and biodiversity
- Major irrigation projects
- Mines and Mineral Estates
- Major industry and industrial development prospects.
The Indian constitution, political system and system of governance
Constitutional Development and Indian Constitution-
Indian Government Act - 1919 and 1935, Constituent Assembly, Nature of Indian Constitution, Preamble (Preamble), Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties, Federal Framework, Constitutional Amendment, Emergency Provisions, Public Interest Litigation, and Judicial Review.
Indian political system and governance
- Nature of Indian state, democracy in India, reorganization of states, coalition governments, political parties, national integration
- Federal and State Executive, Federal and State Legislatures, Judiciary
- President, Parliament, Supreme Court, Election Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, Planning Commission, National Development Council, Chief Vigilance Commissioner, Chief Information Commissioner, Lokpal, and National Human Rights Commission
- Local Autonomous Governance and Panchayati Raj.
Public Policy and Rights
- National public policy as a public welfare state
- Various Legal Rights and Civil Charter.
The political and administrative system of Rajasthan
- Governor, Chief Minister, State Legislative Assembly, High Court, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, District Administration, State Human Rights Commission, Lokayukta, State Election Commission, State Information Commission
- Public Policy, Legal Rights, and Civil Charter.
Economical concepts and Indian economy
Basic Principles of Economics
- Basic knowledge of budget-making, banking, public finance, national income, growth, and development
- Accounting - Concept, Tools, and Uses in Administration
- Stock Exchange and Stock Market
- Fiscal and Monetary Policies
- The subsidy, Public Distribution System
- Inflation - Concept, Influence, and Control Mechanism.
Economic Development and Planning
- Five-Year Plan - Goals, Strategy, and Achievements
- Major Sectors of Economy: - Agriculture, Industry, Services and Trade, Current Status, Issues and Initiatives
- Major economic problems and government initiatives, economic reforms, and liberalization.
Human Resources and Economic Development -
- Human Development Index
- Poverty and unemployment - concepts, types, causes, diagnosis, and current flagship schemes
- Social Justice and Empowerment - Provision for weaker sections.
Economy of Rajasthan
- The macroeconomic scenario
- Major issues of agriculture, industrial service sector
- Growth, Development, and Planning
- Infrastructure and Resources
- Major Development Projects
- Programs and Schemes - State welfare schemes for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Backward Classes, Minorities, Disabled, Disenchanted, Women, Children, Older Persons, Farmers, and Workers.
Science and technology
- Common Basic Elements of Science
- Electronics, Computers, Information and Communication Technology
- Satellite and Space Technology
- Defense Technology
- The human body, diet and nutrition, health care
- Environmental and ecological changes and their effects
- Biodiversity, Biotechnology, and Genetic Engineering
- Agricultural Science, Horticulture, Forestry, and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Science and Technology Development in Rajasthan.
Logical reasoning and mental ability
Logical efficiency (deductive, inductive, refractive) -
- Statements and beliefs, statements and arguments, statements and conclusions, statement-of-action
- Analytical reasoning ability |
Problems related to number series, letter ranges, mismatch sorting, decoding (coding-decoding), relationships, shapes, and their subdivisions.
Basic Numerical Proficiency -
- Elementary knowledge of mathematical and statistical analysis
- Number related problems and low of magnitude, ratio and proportion, percentage, simple and compound interest, analysis of data (tables, bar diagrams, sketches, pie-charts)
- Major current events and issues of Rajasthan state level, national and international importance
- Presently discussed person and place
- Sports and sports-related activities.